UTI Treatment in Fort Worth, TX
A Urinary tract infection, or UTI, is an infection in the urinary system that is most often found in the bladder. Urinary tract infections are more common in women than men. The symptoms of a urinary tract infection can be painful and uncomfortable but can be easily treated by Dr. Quist when caught early on. If you suspect that you may be experiencing symptoms of a UTI, call (817) 926-1313 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Quist today!
What are the Types of Urinary Tract Infections?
- Kidneys (acute pyelonephritis): a severe kidney infection that includes symptoms such as a high fever, bloody/cloudy urine, and nausea and vomiting
- Bladder (cystitis): inflammation of the bladder caused by a bacterial infection, which typically results in frequent and painful urination
- Urethra (urethritis): burning urination with discharge
What are the Symptoms of a Urinary Tract Infection?
The following signs and symptoms can help identify if you are possibly suffering from a urinary tract infection:
- A burning feeling when you urinate
- A frequent urge to urinate
- Frequent, small amounts of urine
- Cloudy, dark, or bloody urine
- Fever or chills
- Pelvic pain (more common in women)
If you experience one or more of these common UTI symptoms, contact Dr. Quist’s office as soon as possible to get evaluated in the office.
What are the Common Causes of a Urinary Tract Infection?
The most common cause of a urinary tract infection is when bacteria enters the urinary tract through the urethra and spreads to the bladder. This bacteria can quickly multiply to reach the point of becoming a serious infection of the urinary tract. If the infection is not treated, it may continue on to affect the kidneys and their function.
What is the Treatment for a Urinary Tract Infection?
Dr Quist usually treats urinary tract infections with oral antibiotics, though Intravenous treatment may be needed if the infection to the kidneys. Symptoms typically clear up within a few days of treatment, but it is recommended that you continue the antibiotics until gone. Another medication may be prescribed in addition to the antibiotics to help with the urgency, frequency and burning sensations.
What are some Tips to Prevent a Urinary Tract Infection?
Follow these lifestyle tips in order to prevent urinary tract infections in the future:
- Drink plenty of water
- Empty your bladder as soon as you feel the urge to urinate and ensure that you have emptied your bladder completely
- Wipe from front to back
- Urinate after sex to flush out any bacteria
- Avoid feminine products that may irritate the urinary system or genital area
Request an Appointment for UTI Treatment in Forth Worth, TX
Board-certified gynecologist Dr. Quist has extensive experience diagnosing and treating urinary infections. If you think you are experiencing symptoms of a urinary tract infection or have any additional questions on prevention, contact Dr. Quist’s Fort Worth office today at (817) 926-1313.